Going Purple2018-09-26T16:40:57+00:00

GOING PURPLE

THE MOVEMENT

The Herren Project empowers youth and the community to make a difference. Going purple gives students and the community motivation and support as they embrace a message of making healthy life choices. Students learn that they do not need drugs and alcohol to meet life’s challenges; that they are perfect the way they are.

HISTORY

The movement was developed when Chris spoke at a local high school in 2011. In the front row a group of students were wearing purple shirts. After Chris shared his story, one of those students raised her hand and said, “Thank you Mr. Herren for validating what we do. We are the sober students of this high school and each year we choose to not use drugs or alcohol.” Chris was captured by the courage it took to stand up and share the symbolism of the purple shirts. He was inspired by their courage to make a difference for adolescents across the United States.

IMPACT

Since 2012 over 590 sites nationwide and an estimated 885,000 people of all ages have registered to “Go Purple.” Additionally thousands of dollars have been awarded in scholarships for students who embodied the “Go Purple” spirit and sponsored a post prom or graduation substance-free celebration.

THE MOVEMENT

The Herren Project empowers youth and the community to make a difference. Going purple gives students and the community motivation and support as they embrace a message of making healthy life choices. Students learn that they do not need drugs and alcohol to meet life’s challenges; that they are perfect the way they are.

HISTORY

The movement was developed when Chris spoke at a local high school in 2011. In the front row a group of students were wearing purple shirts. After Chris shared his story, one of those students raised her hand and said, “Thank you Mr. Herren for validating what we do. We are the sober students of this high school and each year we choose to not use drugs or alcohol.” Chris was captured by the courage it took to stand up and share the symbolism of the purple shirts. He was inspired by their courage to make a difference for adolescents across the United States.

IMPACT

Since 2012 over 590 sites nationwide and an estimated 885,000 people of all ages have registered to “Go Purple.” Additionally thousands of dollars have been awarded in scholarships for students who embodied the “Go Purple” spirit and sponsored a post prom or graduation substance-free celebration.

– LEARN MORE –

– JOIN THE MOVEMENT –

Ready to Get Started?

Here Are 10 Steps to Get You Started.

1Print out the one-page Overview and meet with your school administration or community leaders.

2Complete the Registration Form. We want to hear from you!

3Are you a school? Identify a staff member and student leaders who will embrace the message and share it.

4Are you a community? Identify and gather a team of supporters to begin developing your purple action plan.

5Encourage your group to print out and hang up flyers to bring awareness and spread the movement.

6Brainstorm ways to make going purple fun. Wear purple ribbons, have “purple out” sports game, or have a purple dance!

7Choose a week for going purple to bring the community and school together.

8Order your purple gear! T-shirts and swag can be a fun way to support the movement!

9Look to partner with your local police department and government to expand your message and reach.

10Stay positive! Guide, inspire and educate with a focus on making healthy decisions. Let your imagination go purple!

1Print out the one-page Overview and meet with your school administration or community leaders.

2Complete the registration form. We want to hear from you!

3Are you a school? Identify a staff member and student leaders who will embrace the message and share it.

4Are you a community? Identify and gather a team of supporters to begin developing your purple action plan.

5Encourage your group to print out and hang up flyers to bring awareness and spread the movement.

6Brainstorm ways to make going purple fun. Wear purple ribbons, have “purple out” sports game, or have a purple dance!

7Choose a week for going purple as a way to bring the community and school together.

8Order your purple gear! T-shirts and swag can be a fun way to support the movement!

9Look to partner with your local police department and government to expand your message and reach.

10Stay positive! Guide, inspire and educate with a focus on making healthy decisions. Let your imagination go purple!

– OTHER OPPORTUNITES –

– OTHER OPPORTUNITES –

– WHY WE GO PURPLE –

I am just like that girl in the Purple shirt who told you she was a sober student. Thank you for validating the choices I have made and to give me justification to keep going. – Age 16

Driving through town and seeing the purple ribbons all around brings an immediate sense of hope in my heart. – Community Member

The students in our Go Purple club have become like my second family and pushed me to want to motivate people. I want to change people’s lives for the better and the Go Purple movement has meant more to me than I ever would have imagined. – Age 17

Today in your presentation you brought up the sober students and it made my think of myself. Thank you for giving me a reason to stay sober and to hear my friends say that people who don’t drink are just as cool or fun as everyone else and you don’t need to change them. – Age 15

The Go Purple movement has provided me with strength, hope and meaning. My brother is an addict, and Going Purple has allowed me to get involved to support those who are addicts along with bring awareness of addiction to my campus. – Age 21

Going Purple has helped me make good choices, stay away from drugs and alcohol. It has also given me many opportunities and new friendships with great people. – Age 17

I am that guy with the water bottle at parties and I don’t do drugs or alcohol. When it comes to decision-making you have changed me in a positive way. – Age 16

Going Purple was a great way to get involved with my high school and my community. I was given the opportunity to reach out to other organizations as well as learn valuable life lessons. – Age 18

I am the student who stands up and tries to help people to stop smoking weed or stop doing any drug or even drinking. I can’t still the thought of substance abuse. I just want to help everyone I possibly can, and I know I can be that voice. – Age 16

The students in our Go Purple club have become like my second family and pushed me to want to motivate people. I want to change people’s lives for the better and the Go Purple movement has meant more to me than I ever would have imagined. – Age 17

What does Going Purple mean to me? Making right choices and saying no to drugs and alcohol is what Chris Herren whispered in my ear …..Always be you! – Age 12

Going Purple showed me that no matter where you look, there’s a group of people willing to lend a helping hand. It’s not about telling people that drugs are bad it’s about choices. It’s about showing you that there is another way. No one can do it alone. We learn that when we replace ” I ” with “We.” – Age 17

– IMPACT –

0
Communities & Schools Registered
0k
Individuals Supported the Movement
$0
Awarded in Grants and Scholarships
0%
Substance Free Support in School

Almost 57% of schools and community groups reported a decrease in substance use because of  the go purple movement.

85% of schools and community groups reported an increase in support around students and community members who were choosing to be substance free because of the go purple movement.

79% of schools and community groups reported a change in culture in their school and community around substance abuse for the better. Students who were substance free were more supported, more students choose to be substance free and that the culture changed around how student and community group members viewed and talked about alcohol and substance use.

86% of schools and communities would strongly recommend going purple as a valuable way to change the culture and usage numbers around substance use and the remaining 14% would recommend it.

READ THE REPORT

Almost 57% of schools and community groups reported a decrease in substance use because of  the go purple movement.

85% of schools and community groups reported an increase in support around students and community members who were choosing to be substance free because of the go purple movement.

79% of schools and community groups reported a change in culture in their school and community around substance abuse for the better. Students who were substance free were more supported, more students choose to be substance free and that the culture changed around how student and community group members viewed and talked about alcohol and substance use.

86% of schools and communities would strongly recommend going purple as a valuable way to change the culture and usage numbers around substance use and the remaining 14% would recommend it.

READ THE REPORT

ONE PERSON
ONE FAMILY